WHERE DO I BEGIN?
Plant Based Step by Step
(If you are really serious!)
- Clear out pantry, fridge, and freezer of all non-compliant foods.
- Spend one day prepping fresh veggies for fridge. (onions, red cabbage, red peppers, mushrooms, carrot shreds…)
- Cook one pot of beans for the week. If you are not used to eating beans, start with lentils, as they are gentler on the stomach. Try a different bean each week. Or cook two together.
- Cook up 1-2 grains to use throughout the week (brown rice, quinoa, barley…)
- Bake or pressure cook a bunch of potatoes (regular and sweet) for use during the week.
- Make up some green tea/ and or hibiscus tea to keep on hand.
- For the simplest meals, throw any raw veggies in frypan (including dark greens) with a little water, cover and steam for 2-3 minutes. Add cooked bean and grain in the last minute or so. Season as desired (See Season Variations below).
- Strive for only one new recipe each week. Slowly add to your spices, grains, and beans as you try new recipes. Don’t go out and buy everything all at once.
My top produce items used everyday (not in any order):
- greens (kale, collards, swiss chard, bok chop, spinach)
- red cabbage
- whole grains (br rice, quinoa, oats, spelt, barley, sorghum...)
Top 10 Condiments To Buy Now:
- Low Sodium Tamari/Liquid Aminos/Soy Sauce
- Vinegars: balsamic, red wine, rice, asst flavors...
- Mustards: dijon, spicy brown, regular...
- Hot Sauce: salsa, Cholla, Sriracha...
- Compliant BBQ Sauce: Stubbs, Bone Sucking Sauce(found at Lowes)
- Nutritional Yeast (found at Sprouts, Whole Foods and health stores): It is not baking yeast, but rather yellow looking flakes that impart a cheesy flavor, fortified with B-12
- Smoked Paprika
- Smoked Chipotle
Our Go To Meal: A Power Bowl: Greens, beans, grain, and any fresh cut vegetables, steamed with a little water in a covered stainless steel, cast iron or ceramic frypan (avoid non-stick Teflon). Season as desired.
- salsa/mexican spices
- marinara sauce/italian spices
- soy sauce/tamari with fresh ginger
- lemon juice and tahini/or hummus
- ketchup, or bbq sauce
REMEMBER GBOMBS (Greens, Beans, Onions/garlic, Mushrooms, Berries, Seeds/nuts)
Remember, you DO NOT need a recipe to eat this way!
Just throw the greens, cut up veggies, cooked beans and grains in a pan and sauté in a little water. It really is that simple!